The Brotherhood searched the upper floors of the Thousand Fist Monastery for survivors, occasionally encountering small groups of drudges that they summarily disposed. The Brotherhood first headed towards High Patron rooms where they found evidence of a great battle where it seems the warriors of the Thousand Fist Monastery made their last stand. Amongst the hundred of orc bodies they found the beheaded body of Silanus. From their they quickly headed towards the Library, as they got closer the ever thickening smoke foretold the Libraries fate. Books littered the corridors still smoldering and the Library wing couldn’t be approahced as it was still a conflagaration, the funeral pyre for The Lightkeeper. From a captured orc they found out that the leader of the warband and a lot of the warriors have already left carrying off their loot. An orc by the name of Ugrog was the Boss remaining and he was below in the Chamber of Works questioning what is presumably the only survivor of the attack. Giving up hopes of survivors on the upper halls and spurred on by the captured warriors words the Brotherhood began to descending toward the Chamber of Works to confront Ugrog.
Finally they came to the cavernous natural fissure that marked the bottom of the Monastery, from the worked chamber an ancient set of stairs arced out into the chamber and descended to the chamber floor below where the halls of the Chamber of Works lay. Ascending the stairs was a band of orcs shouldering sacks of stolen loot. On seeing the party they charged forward to confront the Brotherhood. Not wanting to confront the orcs on the stairs and risk being knocked off to fall the best part of a hundred of feet to the rocks below the Brotherhood held on the landing and dug out out there ranged weapons.
The battle that ensued saw the Champion of Grumsh and his drudges charging up the stairs to engage in melee while orc crossbowmen softened up the brotherhood with their fearsome bellybows. The Brotherhood meanwhile peppered the approaching orcs with missiles, however they began to come under attack by the orc’s tame drake which was making a nuisance of itself trying to filch magic items. When the orcs finally made the landing the combatants proceeded to bash and shove each other trying to push them to their deaths. To avoid the Brotherhoods shield wall the Champion of Grumsh chose to leap like a hero of legend across the gap from the stairs to the ledge. Like the hero of legend his leap fell short, reached out and grabbed at the ledge and found himself suspended above the precipice by a strained hand. A hand that Fondu was happy to rid him of, and so the Champion of Grumsh tumbled to his death. Quickly the Brotherhood overwhelmed the remaining orcs shunting them into the precipice below.
- Boldar “Javelin? What’s a javelin?”
- Boldar “Oh you throw the point end first?”
- Boldar “At the enemy? Oh right. Can I have another one? Why not? I’m just getting the hang of it I’m sure”
- Adjurrah thought jumping to his death to get back a basic magic item and spite kill the drake was a good idea.
- Everyone else didn’t.
Once down the stairs the Brotherhood quickly made their way to the Chamber of Works where they find Ugrog beating a dwarf and demanding the tunnel be re-opened. The Chamber of Works had obviously been damaged by some event with a number of the furnaces broken and rubble strewn across the Chamber. A raging fire was out of control where the great furnace once stood. The room itself had a large number of orcs watching the interrogation all of which were unaware of the Brotherhoods approach. Taking advantage of the element of surprise the Brotherhood charged into the room and a great battle ensued.
Boldar, Haldane and Adjurah charged into the fight while Fondu was peppering the warriors from the edges.Seeing they were under attack Ugrog unsheathed his enormous orcish blade and hurled himself at Haldane and Boldar. Fondu soon found himself assaulted by drudges.
Boldar and Haldane were fighting for their lives, the Berserkers were merely nuisances next to the fearsome and brutal hulk Ugrog. The battle appeared to be turning against the Brotherhood, Fondu was still beset with drudges, Haldane and Boldar were struggling to land blows on the iron titan that was Ugrog and Adjurrah cursed by the Shaman was flailing blindly. Soon Haldane and Boldar found themselves bloodied and then quickly struggling to stay standing as Ugrog was laying them open inspired by the chanted words of Grumsh flowing from the shaman. With the battle in the balance Brotherhood managed to tip it in their favour landing brutal blows that saw the berserkers and shaman finally fall and the last of the drudges in front of Fondu fell. Unperturbed Ugrog continued to hammer the Brotherhood, with Haldane and Boldar exhausted, bloodied and near death Ugrog finally missed what surely would have been a killing blow. The Brotherhood did not waste this small mercy and with fatal precision, no doubt inspired by the terrible consequences of failure, each landed decisive blows on Ugrog who finally fell.
- In saving Lokvist the the Brotherhood saved the sole survivor in the monastery.
- Ugrog was carrying a magical shield blessed by Kord that he had obviously looted from the monastery.
As Ugrog fell the Brotherhood dashed to the fallen dwarf. Tortured and exhausted the warrior priest was helpless and on the edge of death. When revived the last Paladin of the Monastery Lokvist Thronehold thanked the Brotherhood. Lokvist quickly told his story as the party recuperated from the battle and prepared themselves for the journey back from the Monastery.
- Lokvist triggered the collapse of the old dwarf tunnels that led into the basement of the Monastery throught the Chamber of Works.
- The High Patron, Light Keeper and some of the older warriors of the Monastery were aware of the old catacombs and passages below the Monastery but were sure no one else had living memory of the maze like tunnels.
- Lokvist was wounded and left for dead by the initial assualt and when he came to he made his way stealthily to the Chamber of Works intending to set off the deadfall and seal the catcombs.
- When he arrived in the Chamber of Works he found the orc Warbosses Warlord Gulgor and Ugrog in council with an assortment of villains; a shrouded Darkstalker referred to by Gulgor as Kashaba who was cowled in ebon and deep blue cloaks with a distinctive mithril necklace with a dark dwarf vassal and his shrouded gaurds; a cabal of hooded humanoids whose hooded robes of deep purple were sigiled and worked with dark ruby stitch amongst.
- Lokvist overheard the Kashaba say he would deliver these maps before returning to the “other forge” or the “under forge”.
- Before leaving the Kashaba took back a map from Gulgor returning it to a plain scroll tube and handing it to the dark dwarf who was carrying a number of others, he then passed a number of purses to Gulgor and the hooded cabal.
- As Lokvist watched the council broke, the Darkones troupe began to withdrew into the catacombs a distraction that Lokvist used to dash forward and trigger the deadfall hoping to crush some of the interlopers.
- As the dust cleared it was apparent that the rubble crush had caught some of the hooded cabal and hopefully the Darkones suffered a similiar fate. As the forge exloded and flames claimed some of the bodies Lokvist fought a futile battle against the orcs who quickly overpowered and captured him;
- The hooded cabal quickly took their leave, seemingly untrusting of the orcs, who seemed to have no love for them either
- Gulgor left to return to ‘the fort Fangcrag’, leaving Ugrog ‘to kill anyones left and torch the filthy temple’.